Going back several days to my 4th of July celebration a lot comes to mind. I remember Stadium of Fire, fireworks, BBQs, cold drinks (non-alcoholic), a day at the lake, and spending time with friends and family. And then I woke up and had to go to work.
I went to work, as usual, and started reading reports and making other reports. I read the paper online. I had lunch. I did some more work. I helped arrange for the arrival of about 50 Iraqi guests. The guests were all either members of the local government council or local leaders of the Sons of Iraq. (If you are asking yourself, "What are the 'Sons of Iraq'?" I suggest looking it up on Wikipedia. There is a good article there.) We had a wonderful dinner with all the stops pulled out. Unfortunately, I got stuck with escorting an Iraqi to the aid station where he was treated for a brown recluse spider bite. (Don't worry, these spiders don't like Americans and stay away from us.) I ended up eating my feast in the hallway while my Iraqi and an interpreter were dealing with the medics. I saw them all off and then returned to the office for some last minute things and then I'm sure we watched a movie before going to bed.
Since then I have been doing much of the same. Big news, however, is that my church attendance has skyrocketed. Here at Combat Outpost Cashe South we have up to 6 Mormons. We finally took matters into our own hands and hold sacrament meetings on our own. We received permission, via e-mail, to do this instead of having a small group leader come down and conduct services. So, last Sunday and today I went to church. I could really get used to this kind of church. We sing, pray, talk business (does 10 o'clock work for next week?), sing, pass the sacrament, conduct a lesson (20 minutes or so), sing, and pray. We are done in under 45 minutes. I know I am making some of you jealous.
Right now I cannot think of any funny stories, so I'll just wrap it up. If a story comes to mind I will be sure to write. Take care.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
Riss is all over that kind of church meeting! That is what she likes about Fish Lake on Sundays with the Gundersons.
As for the spider bite: do the spiders recognize your military fatigues and just stay away???
xoxox
I would love that kind of meeting, too! We could even multi-task by doing our VT/HT as well!! 100% visits!
And Jeri asked the very question I had with regard to the spider bites...ewww...shudder!
hugs,
bon
woo hoo for short church!
I'm making it sort of unanimous but Jeri didn't vote - Hooray for short church. Plus, it's probably a different dress code.
Post a Comment