Ramadan. One month of sunlight fasting followed by a night of food and fun. At least, that is what is supposed to happen. We do not follow it, of course. We try to respect those who do by not eating or drinking in front of them. But today I was reminded of just how gullible we can be. Yes, Islam believes in fasting during Ramadan. Just like Catholics believe in abstinence before marriage. Some are strict in observance, and others not so much.
Walking around Sadr City (where I am stationed these days) we came upon some kids hanging around their parents' shops. One shop was a bakery and we watched as all of them ate some sort of bread right in front of us. Ha, how about that? And they teach us to be sensitive and respectful and lead us to believe that everyone follows all religious rules.
So Happy Ramadan to you! I will be observing this month by patrolling in the 45 C weather and talking to Iraqis!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Eid Mubarak!
xoxo,
Mom
This is DiAnn-Surprise- your dad is here visiting and i just saw your blog. I love your writing-some of it I wish were fictional- I like that you gave things to read (newsweek etc) that have some truth in them. You are in my thoughts often- your dad is sleeping in your bed-know that I only let special people into that bed as it is still Clay's bed.
Love your Germany home- do you have bugs?
Love you
Hugs
DiAnn
Had a weird experience with your dad-went to movie with him and Larry and all of us got in as seniors. Al asked what senior age was and she just told us that she didn't check ID-figured when someone wanted to admit they were senior she was ok with letting them in. Very weird to all be seniors. Bruce, however, refuses to be a senior and pays the Young rate
Post a Comment