Saturday, June 21, 2008

Okay, so what do I have to say about these. Well, that is $1.55 million dollars I am enjoying! I am slowly paying that out to Iraqis for their work on construction projects and the like. Below I stand on the platform of one such funded project. This is the Tigris River behind me and I am standing on a platform for a water pump. The pump will provide water for over 100,000 people when it is finally open. And yes, we're number 1!

These kids were playing soccer on a basketball court until their field (in the background) is redone. They are typical of the children here-- very anxious to have their pictures taken and not shy around soldiers. Plus they want footballs (soccer balls), chocolate, and pens. Sorry, not this time. The other picture is a street market that sells goat meat. The three heads are there to keep the flies off the meat that is for sale. Ingenious and gross all at the same time. Good work!


This is me at the Osirak Nuclear Facility. It was bombed in '81 by the Israelis and again by us during Desert Storm. There was a huge clean-up project here and they tell us that things are fine now. If I grow a tail, I'll let you know. Oh, this bombed out building is less than 200 meters from where I live, separated by a giant berm. Cool, eh?

1 comment:

bon said...

Oh. My. Heck. Un-believable!! $1.55 mil; bombed-out buildings; portable hardwood flooring; food, glorious food; "soccer fields;" and children. Bless those children! They can figure out how to be happy and have a good time wherever they are and with whatever they have, can't they? Amazing!! :) Thanks for the (several) thousand words!! ;>

Hugs,
bon