Monday, October 13, 2008
Okay, so what to write about these? These are all pictures from my recent trip to the Green Zone in downtown Baghdad. The Green Zone is noted for its lack of security concerns and large military presence of all the Coalition Forces and private security contractors. It is also home to an enormous parade ground that you see behind the crossed sabres. This first picture is me, of course, after having just dismounted from my vehicle, an MRAP (Mine Resistant Ambush Protected).
Here most of my platoon poses for a picture under the crossed sabres. In the background you can see another pair of crossed sabres and huge stadium lights lining the parade grounds. You can also make out some of the reviewing stands in the back (with the curved roof). The grounds were built to commemorate Iraq's "victory" against Iran in their 8 year war. Saddam held the typical over-the-top dictator-impressed-with-his-own-weak-military propaganda events here. Now it is a favourite picture destination for troops stationed in and around Baghdad. Ha, take that, Saddam!
I have no clue what is inside this dome or what significance it has, but here it is and isn't it nice.
That's my driver, PFC Shutts, and me riding shotgun on our way back from the Green Zone. In the Green Zone we went to the PX and bought some necessary items. We also had chance to visit the food court, which included a Burger King, Subway, and some pizza place. I chose Subway. There is a pool somewhere in the Green Zone, but we had neither the patience nor the inclination to find it.
And I'm doing well. Mosquitoes have become a nuisance of late, but hopefully they will go away with the onset of winter (highs in the low 100s). C'est la vie!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
It all leaves me speechless. Seeing the picture of the sabres that were everywhere in the news years ago and you in the picture with them is unbelievable.
I don't think of mosquitoes in the desert. I am glad the weather is cooling down for you!
Much love,
Mom
creepy hands coming out of the middle of the sidewalk--what a weirdo.
Ok...just plain weird seeing a home-town guy in a war-torn country. Even MORE bizzare that you seem to think you're living your dream! :>
I'm with Jeri...'squitoes in the desert? I guess it beats finding a scorpion or two...oh, wait...
hugs!
Post a Comment